Eat, Paint, Live Supply list
The following is a combined supply list of Mark and Shary’s essentials. Below is a minimal list of suggested supplies in order to keep weight to a minimum, but feel free to bring your favourite materials in addition to these. Shary and Mark will supplement these supplies with a few shared items reducing the packing load of our guests.
***Ubud, has a two quality art supply stores and, because art is so much a part of the everyday here, even the grocery stores have a basic supply of art materials! Bring these basics, but know that if you run out, you can likely buy some refill materials in Ubud.
Paints ( Acrylics)
For this trip our preferred painting medium will be liquid acrylics which are versatile enough to work with some of our journalling techniques as well as painting/ waterc0lour techniques on location. Below is our recommended list of colours and we recommend either Golden, Liquitex or DaVinci Liquid Acrylics .
- Carbon or Mars Black
- Dioxazine Purple,
- Payne’s Gray ****optional
- Alizarin Crimson or Quinacridone Crimson
- Cadmium Red Medium
- Quinacridone Gold or Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold ***optional
- Cadmium Yellow Medium rch
- Cobalt Blue
- French Ultramarine
- Cerulean Blue Hue*** Optional
- Turquoise (Phthalo) or Pthalo Green (blue shade) *** optional
- 250-500 ml white gesso
- 250 ml semi gloss acrylic gel medium
- Liquitex Slow dry medium 0r Golden open medium or thinner
*** In addition to acrylics it is highly recommended that you carry a portable Pan Watercolour set with a portable brush. Please see optional supplies for other watercolour supplies
*** small 2 oz Sprizer or mister bottle ( with fine mist)
Student synthetic acrylic or watercolour brushes – Phoenix Art Workshop’s Nimbus Watercolour brushes are perfect for both watercolour or acrylics and are short handled so they won’t take up too much room in your bag and are very inexpensive making them perfect for travel.
- 1” Nimbus Flat
- 1/2 Nimbus Angle or Flat
- Nimbus round numbers 2, 4, 6, 8 round or similar
- Small compact travel brushes Sable or natural hair are perfect but synthetic brushes are fine
- Small Synthetic sponge
Paper and Pads
- 140 lb cold press 12 x 16 watercolour pad or block (at least 15 sheet pads) or 3 sheets of 22 x 30 – 140lb watercolour paper cut into quarters.
- 2 Strathmore spiral bound artist’s sketch book visual journals. (5.5 in X 8 in).
One heavy weight (watercolour or Mixed Media), one lighter (Bristol or Drawing)
- Graphic Drawing Pencils 2b,4b, 6b,
- Kneadable eraser or Soft White eraser
- Your favorite pen for writing!
- 2 or 3 Permanent Drawing pens in a range of sizes .01mm – .08mm and possibly a brush tip
( Some of the better brands are Micron, Copic, Faber Castel or Sarasa Zebra )
- Supply Bag / Painting Bag
- 12x 16 drawing board or a size that fits your travel bag or 2” larger than your largest working series.
- Portable Water container – Collapsible type is best
- Collapsable or sealable Palette ( non-stick type is best and should be white)
- Camera/cell phone that takes pictures, batteries or charger and cords to download to computer memory stick for copying pictures
- Camera instructions if you are unfamiliar with or want to experiment with expanded features.
- Gloves (at least 1 set) (nitrile, rubber, etc)
- Small pair of scissors
- Good quality Glue stick (UHU or your favorite)
- apron or old shirt for painting (so you don’t get your bathing suit messy with paint!) (optional)
- Container/case of your choice to carry supplies
- 1” masking tape Roll
- Portable easel
- Small box of water soluble oil pastels or water soluble coloured pencils. (some brands are Caran D’Ache, Derwent, Faber Castell, Inktense, etc). (These will be provided for sharing if you prefer not to bring.)
- Ruler (This will be provided for sharing if you prefer not to bring.)
- White gel or grease/wax pencil (These will be provided for sharing if you prefer not to bring.)
- water brush (with water reservoir built into handle) Koi, and other companies make these.
- Other various mixed media items (optional)
- Beads, ephemera for collage, images, graphic text, etc
- Masking Fluid
- Charcoal Pencils hard and soft
Please note, these supplies are available from Phoenix Art Supply for 20%